Following the standards adopted by many VxO’s, EMWRAP produces its metadata in the SPASE format. In the beginning of the project some of our team members did not have prior experience of writing Space Physics Archive Search and Extract (SPASE) descriptions. We held two teleconferences to go over the essential information about SPASE and the online resources useful for writing SPASE descriptions. Ivan Galkin of University of Massachusetts Lowell and the Virtual Wave Observatory (VWO) kindly provided examples of descriptions for wave data.
The UCLA team has developed Matlab programs and been using them to help generate data descriptions in the SPASE format. For Numerical Data descriptions we start with inserting information in an Excel spreadsheet, and a Matlab program converts the spreadsheet into the desired data description in XML.
With the Matlab programs we created the Numerical Data descriptions for the MFE Key Parameter data. We have also generated the granules for the first year of the MFE KP data. We are currently proofing these metadata and will move forward to generate the granules for the rest of the MFE data products.
The tasks performed by the Berkeley team include:
- Preparing SPASE-compliant descriptions of our instrument and data products (CDAweb particularly). We are using information at http://spase-group.org to learn how to convert our existing html Polar EFI Archive web-site documentation into xml SPASE-compliant descriptions.
- Generation of SPASE-compliant granules for data files that are ready for submission to the Virtual Magnetospheric Observatory (VMO).
The Iowa team has also introduced a draft SPASE-compliant metadata xml files describing the PWI spectrogram plot database for the following data products:
- PO_H1_PWI : Step Freq Receivers A & B (SFRA, SFRB)
- PO_H2_PWI : Low Freq Waveform Receiver (LFWR)
- PO_H3_PWI : LHFWR* 16 K data (6 channels)
- PO_H4_PWI : LHFWR* 2K data (6 channels)
- PO_H5_PWI : LHFWR* 16 K data (interferometry)
- PO_H7_PWI+: HFWR** 6-channel
- PO_H9_PWI+: Wideband Receiver (WBR)
In addition, we now have a draft SPASE-compliant metadata xml file describing the H1 data.
Please note that development issues are addressed in the discussion section of this page.